FOREIGN ATTORNEY Nan Sato 佐藤 楠
Attorney at Law admitted in New York, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey
LEGAL EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION
|May 2017||Field-R Law Offices|
|January 2013 – April 2017||Shimin Law Offices, U.S. Counsel (New York & Philadelphia)|
|2012||Pennsylvania Superior Court, Judicial Clerk (Philadelphia)|
|2011||Stevens & Lee, P.C., Summer Associate (Philadelphia)|
|2011||Dilworth Paxson, LLP, Summer Associate (Philadelphia)|
|2011||Office of University Counsel, Law Clerk (Urbana, IL)|
|May 2012||J.D., University of Illinois College of Law|
|May 2008||B.A., Temple University|
MEMBERSHIPS & ACTIVITIES
- Co-Chair, Philadelphia Bar Association International Law Committee (2017)
- Completed the course of Doping: Sports, Organizations, and Sciences, University of Lausanne (2016)
- Member, International Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Pro Bono Attorney, Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts (2016)
- Pro Bono Attorney, Philadelphia VIP (2014-2016)
- PUBLICATIONS (All titles translated into English for convenience)
- Sports law in 2020 - key issues to watch: Tokyo 2020 Olympics; Japan's pro bono counsel panel; professionalization of women's football in Japan, LawInSport, December 30, 2019.
- Key sports law cases and developments of 2019 – Asia & Australia, LawInSport, December 21, 2019
- Sexual Harassment in Japanese Football, Football Legal, #12, December 2019
- Why Japanese rugby needs to turn professional - and the legal challenges it could present, LawInSport, March 5, 2019
- Virtual Reality in Sports – Privacy Risks and Revenue Opportunities for Players, LawInSport, September 5, 2018
- Advocacy for International Players in the Event of Termination by Club, Football Legal, June 30, 2018
- Reconciliation of Old Traditions and Modern Sports Ideology in Japanese Sports, Key Sports Law Cases and Developments to Watch in 2018, LawInSport, Jan. 29, 2018.
- Must athletes prove how a banned substance entered their body to establish lack of intention? LawInSport, October 31, 2017.
- Taking Cues from the Past: Evolution of Celebrity Endorsement, The Entertainment and Sports Lawyer, Spring 2017 Volume 33 Issue 3.
- Chinese Companies and Sports Sponsorships: Trends and Guidelines, Wolters Kluwer, Aug. 15, 2016.
- A Top-Down Approach: Tax Incentives and Their Effect on the Chinese Movie Industry, GGI Forum, Aug. 2016.
- Why China’s Ban on Sports Betting is a Lose-Lose Solution, Inside World Football, August 3, 2016.
- Protection of Image Rights in the Prospect of the Growing Chinese Super League, The Entertainment and Sports Lawyer, Summer 2016 Volume 32 Issue 4.
- China’s New Unfair Competition Law and Its Potential Effects on Commercial Bribery, Inter-Pacific Bar Association Journal, June 2016.
- New Regulation on Additional Restrictive Conditions in Merger Transactions, International M&A and Joint Ventures Committee Newsletter, American Bar Association Section of International Law, June 2013.
- Red Dragon Gone Green: China's Approach to Renewable Energy Technologies, Its Legal Implications, and Its Impact on US Energy Policy, University of Illinois Journal of Law, Technology and Policy, Vol. 2011, No. 2.
LECTURES (All titles translated into English for convenience)
- Two years of #metoo, what has or hasn't changed? AIJA Annual Labor Law Conference, Lisbon, Portugal, October 25, 2019.
- Japanese Sports Industry, Rugby World Cup and Tokyo 2020 Games, LawInSport Annual Conference 2018, London, UK, September 13, 2018.
- Technology in Sports, LawInSport Annual Conference 2018, London, UK, September 13, 2018.
- Virtual Reality and Sports, ISDE Master in Sports Management and Legal Skills, March 2018.
- Player Development, LawInSport Annual Conference 2017, London, UK, September 7, 2017.
- The 2017 Outlook on Global Mobility after Trump & Brexit, International Employers Forum, January 24, 2017.
- Conducting Business with China: Navigating Law and Culture, Philadelphia Bar Association, December 14, 2016.
- Mediating Corporate Disputes: Practical Views on How to Create Value When Adopting ADR Strategies in M&A, International Bar Association Annual Conference, Vienna, October 8, 2015.
- Doing Business in Emerging Markets – Structures, Issues, and Pitfalls, Japan Federation of Bar Associations/International Association of Young Lawyers Joint Seminar, Tokyo, April 3, 2015.
- When Does a Gift Become a Bribe? Anti-Corruption and Compliance in China, Swiss Chamber of Commerce in Shanghai, December 11, 2014.
- United States District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania Naturalization Ceremony, Philadelphia, November 15, 2012.